The Vanier scholarship program was launched by the Government of Canada to attract and retain world class doctoral students. The following is for general information only. Complete details regarding the Vanier program can be found on the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship website. Note: At the time of this communication the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship Program website had not yet been updated with the 2018 competition information.
This funding opportunity encourages students to pursue their doctoral studies at institutions different from those where they completed a previous degree(s) in order to broaden research horizons and seek new challenges. Candidates nominated by a university at which they have completed a previous degree will be asked to provide a compelling rationale as to why they have chosen to remain or return.
Highly-qualified international candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. All interested candidates are encouraged to contact Susan Gregus (MS2-075) with their transcripts. A GPA calculation will be made prior to the student applying to make certain that they meet the GPA requirement of 3.7.
Value and Duration of Award: $50,000 per year for three years
- To be considered for a Vanier CGS, the applicant must be nominated by only one Canadian university.
- A minimum McGill-equivalent CGPA of 3.70 for ALL degrees obtained to date (i.e. Undergraduate and graduate). Note: Only students who completed their undergraduate training in a university other than McGill will be considered unless a very compelling justification can be provided.
- For current PhD-level students: you must have completed fewer than 20 months of doctoral studies by May 1, 2019.
- For MSc students: you must have completed the MSc requirements, or transferred to the PhD, no later than September 2019.
- Demonstrated past and/or current leadership potential as described by Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
- For more information on eligibility as well as application and nomination process please consult Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship website.
- Academic units identify potential nominees and send their name and email address to GPS by May 30th, 2018.
- Deadline for applicants to submit a hardcopy of their entire application to Susan Gregus (MS2-075) is Monday, September 17, 2018. It is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application is complete, including referee assessments and recommendation letter. Students must inform their referees to provide Susan Gregus with a copy of their assessment forms that they submit and inform the Chair of their department to provide the original letter of recommendation to me by that same date. Please note that some units enforce earlier submission deadlines than those listed, always check with your respective Graduate Unit.
- Institutional deadline for recommended applicants to submit an application using ResearchNet: September 21st, 2018 8:00 P.M. (Eastern Standard Time).
- November 2018 (TBC) University submits selected applicant to Vanier CGS program.